Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Knitting Retreat

I went to my first knitting retreat this past weekend. I didn't know what to expect really, I've heard of some being really structured and some being not so much. This one had some, which I liked, but it wasn't rigid. We work as we wanted, but there was time to take a class if we chose.

We started out picking out grabbags.
Each was slightly different, but we each got a skein of a KnitPicks yarn (mine is Wool of the Andes Pumpkin) two skeins of another type ( Classic Elite) and 2 sets of stitch markers. There's also a tape measure, stitch holders, needle inventory, KnitPicks Emergecy Fix keychain, and a pattern (given by the the designer).

I did decide to take the class they offered since I've done very little with colorwork and I've been knitting 4 years. I picked out an easy pattern (Picot Hem Snowflake Hat).
 I got about halfway through the star/snowflake before we left. I'm having a lot of fun with this. I couldn't get the method of wrapping the yarn around the needle then removing it to make the float, but I've got it now. And I'm using both hands, so learning right handed wasn't a total waste. I'm looking forward to doing more colorwork.I think I even have my next project picked out for it.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! A knitting retreat sounds lovely. Your colorwork sample looks great. I did my first colorwork on a Christmas stocking last year and it took a lot of tries to "get it" but I did, and the stocking is now part of our family tradition.

    ReplyDelete